Saturday 14 February 2009

A rough plan

Waves and cliffs on the Pentland Firth, Thurso

I've been working on the route I am going to take to get from one end of Britain to the other using only Stagecoach buses*. Here's a rough plan:

Day 1

Thurso to Montrose
via Inverness and Aberdeen

Day 2

Montrose to Carlisle
via Dundee, Glenrothes, Glasgow, Ayr and Dumfries

Day 3

Carlisle to Stockport
via Penrith, Keswick, Lancaster, Preston and Bolton

Day 4

Stockport to Grantham
via Sheffield, Chesterfield, Worksop, Retford, Gainsborough and Lincoln

Day 5

Grantham to Andover
via Peterborough, Milton Keynes, Bicester, Oxford, Swindon and Marlborough

Sunlight on Brighton Pier

Day 6

Andover to Brighton
via Basingstoke, Alton, Petersfield and Havant

This is going to be a real challenge. I don't really have any fear about the prospect of making my way to an unfamiliar area via public transport. I've done it many times – I'm used to it. The list above though includes huge swathes of countryside that I'll be visiting for the first time ever, one mysterious town after the other. I hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew.

* See the guidelines I've set myself, as well as my reasoning

Image credits: PhillipC and -RobW- on Flickr

No comments: